Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Art of Relocating

Relocations are a must part of a professional life. Growth comes through changing places and organizations as it brings in unparalleled learning of adapting to newer environment and undiscovered wisdom which may not happen in the state of inertia. Here we have a situation where an individual have shifted from one location to another in search of Holy Grail. The change takes the individual by surprise. As it goes with the initial rites of passage, a series of shocks and tremors are meant to awaken us to a situation where we ‘survive’ to become tougher and wiser. The situation is as shared below:

"I am from ABC, recently moved to xyz for a new job. It’s been about two months since I joined and the initial excitement has vanished altogether. This is the first time ever I am living on my own and I must admit it is boring. I am left alone, no friends and no office buddies. I am not used to this kind of environment with absence of fun loving nature in employees. But I have seen other companies adjoining ours with better crowd, guess the grass is always greener on the other side. Office is bland and boring. On the weekends you may develop suicidal tendencies, the kinds that arise knowing how the life has changed for the worse compared to what it was. Every day, I miss my family, city and friends. All of them are in ABC. To add to my woes, my manager is rude, arrogant and inconsiderate. At times he just shouts and then apologise stating work pressure as an excuse. Most of the time, even that apology, doesn’t come. My training is ruined because he sits in some other location and blames me for being slow. When the fact is he cannot find time to train me. Sometimes he abuses and then says don’t mind as he thought I was my more experienced than other team mates. Colleagues discuss the price of the vegetable in different local markets. To top it all, there is no transportation offered, as it was promised. I have to walk close to a kilometre every morning under the scorching sun to get to a point from where I can get an auto! My manager asked me to get a house nearby. Its difficult to find a decent place at a decent price close to office. In addition I am also having food, laundry and maid issues! How I miss my home!"
We seggragate each problem in the above situation to consider them exclusively and find a collectively exhaustive solution.
Expectation Management: Life would get better with a relocation: Most of the time, when we relocate, we expect things to change for better. Hence we stand jolted when the reality doesn’t match the expectations.
Problem: “I am from abc, recently moved to xyz for a new job. It’s been about two months since I joined and the initial excitement has vanished altogether. This is the first time ever I am living on my own and I must admit, it is rank boring. I am left alone, no friends and no office buddies.”
Solution: Accepting the change, to bring in a combination of experience prepare us better for it. As explained by Daniel Goleman, in Performance Review: It’s Not Only What You Say, But How You Say It, “The neuroscientist Richard Davidson at the University of Wisconsin has found that when we’re in an upbeat, optimistic, I-can-handle-anything frame of mind, energized and enthusiastic about our goals, our brains turn up the activity in an area on the left side, just behind the forehead. That’s the brain state where we are at our best”. Hence getting into that state of mind and staying objective to each situation is the first step.
To continue reading: http://www.citeman.com/11499-the-art-of-relocating/

No comments: